Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy Little Updates

Hello, stranger!  It's been a while...almost a month now...since I last posted to Domythic Bliss.  Rest assured, the group is by no means in a lull or dead...posting is still happening apace in our Facebook group, but I've been quite busy this past month working on another, still Domythic-y, but personal project.   You can read about it over on my personal home blog, Catty-Corner Cottage

Anyhow, I have three different tidbits to share with you today.  First, I've been reading every new Hobbit film-related book that comes into the library where I work.  The current one on my nightstand (well, not literally...the book is too large!) is The Hobbit Chronicles, and for those of you with a Domythic bent, I definitely recommend it the most highly of all the associated books out there right now.  The book is more about the art design of the film, and the entire first chapter is devoted to Bag End interior and object design.  Even the aesthetic patterns on the furniture and soft furnishings are discussed. 


Second, I know it's not entirely decorating related (although I did spend some time distracted by the items on his mantle behind him) but I have to share this incredible video submitted for Terri Windling's new Moveable Feast, A Dragon's Feast.  I wasn't familiar with this poet and bard before now, but his performance here is captivating and timelessly mythic.  Do watch!


Finally, our own Shane Odom has been working on redecorating his daughter's bedroom in his house, and he put together a short instructional video on how to paint ceiling clouds.  Watch for the shout-out at 6:00!


Shane is indeed right...clouds on a ceiling are another way to make your home a mythical space.  The library where I work is currently undergoing major renovations, and our children's department is going to have drop-ceiling clouds like these:






In your own home, you should never forget the sixth surface of any given room: four walls, a floor, and the ceiling

Link
Link
Link

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I could do this to my ceiling. If I owned my own house, I would want it to look something like Tasha Tudor's combined with a Kinuko Craft painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in Truro Library,must get that book as I too love all things Middle earth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, oh Kinuko Craft...I do so adore her. And Tasha Tudor was a role model for living a life where every aspect exuded magic. I wish you the best of luck with those two perfect inspirations!!

    Angela, oh do! It's marvelous.

    ReplyDelete